Saturday, February 26, 2011

Blogs: Do-ers and Dreamers

I been trying to update my blog more often. I figured nobody cares about them, but my internet savvy friends say do it more often. So I checked out some other people's blogs to get some ideas and I came up with some depressing news. Most blogs SUCK!! Not because they are not updated, but because they are updated with crap. Seems like for the most part two kinds of bloggers exist. Those that post a bunch of random pics of the past and present but never really do anything except...well, post a bunch of random pics of past and present. The "my favorite lunch spot" legend in your own mind blogger comes to mind. "Ooooo, look at the hamburger I am having, it is the BEST hamburger on the planet and I, I, I am so cool, way cooler than you, for eating it. Don't you wish you could be me and eat this burger?" Then there are those that post a bunch of pics about all the cool shit THEY are doing. Cause they seem to be the only thing going in Po-dunksville, Nowhere where they live. "oh look at the cool bike I am building, look how IMMMMMPORTANT I AM." "I am gonna have ten bikes for sale at the Born Free show so you can buy a bike from me that sucks, but is cool cause I say it is cool. Watch for updates on MYYYYYYY bikes and how cool I am."

So anyway, I decided I might just look like the other dipshits out there if I post too much about what I, I, I, (ME ME ME) am doing. So here goes, the Wes White blog series about guys who are DOING shit, not just posting copius pics of 70s bikers and other dumb crap.

1) David Bird: David has probably been welding since before there were TiG Machines. He makes Hardtails and full frames for Triumphs and Yamahas and sidelines in freakin hotrod chassis (chassi?). He rocks and he has a bunch of jigs for the stuff he does. I been to his place, he is the real deal. He has also NEVER, and I mean NEVER had a complaint about his work or his work ethic. Legions of junior welders have come and gone (anybody remember Casey Tallon?) promising to have the next greatest hardest core hardtails for Triumphs. Well David has them, nobody else. Why send your money to a guy who is not gonna be in business in 6 weeks? Send it to David (through his retailers) and be guaranteed he is not gonna get behind and you are gonna have to ask for your money back or call him out over the internet. Dig it bitches.

6 comments:

Help said...

got me one of dem der loop hardtails from that fella you talkin about.....it sure is nice...

Alan Richards said...

Too true.

Vorhese said...

Blogger complain #1 makes sense. I don't get blogger type #2 complaint. You're complaining about people's blogs where they talk about their own lives and what's going on around them, who put up original content? ...which is the point of having a blog.

fouraces said...

The point I was trying to make, probably with too big of a hammer, is that there is a fine line between interesting stuff going on around a person and a person that talks only about themselves. I don't wanna be the guy who always talks about himself, thats all.

Anonymous said...

Wes I always keep an eye on your site, gotta say I like a little ranting now and then I met Kit a couple of times and he is a good guy don't know the others but if you take the time to talk them up that well, that says a lot....keep it up

Small City Cycles said...

Just came across your blog today and this post from a few months ago.I think you would be lying if you said type #2 wasn't a little directed at me (not to be to me,me,me). And your right on some accounts. I do live in podunk nowwhere, and the only other guys I know building vintage bikes are restorers. Everyone knows what a stock Triumph looks like, so why post it. I don't just do a blog because I have a ton of free time, its a tool for my business and there for should be mostly content about what is going on in the shop and the bikes I'm building. I consider it more of a poor mans website than a blog. I wouldn't consider regurgitated posts on two industry landmarks like Lowbrow or David Bird as groundbreaking content. Sounds more like name dropping.
Yes I post up bikes for sale and advertise those that will be for sale at Born Free. You of all people should know that no one that chooses this profession as their sole means of income is in it for the money, but at the end of the day I have a family to feed and bills to pay.
Ofcourse I think my bikes are cool, why the fuck else would I build them? Would you build a bike that you think sucks? I don't think me being proud of the bikes I'm building is going to sway anyones opinion on them. Hate to hear that you think they suck, but I guess I can't please everyone. You may not like the style but to me the quality is the most important thing, and I don't think thats something that any one can say bad about them.